Group Admins

• Profile picture of Jake Agatucci

Digital Storytelling

Public Group active 3 years, 1 month ago

I formed this group after after today’s afternoon session. Sharon can toss in here as well hopefully, but I thought it might be a good place for interested folks to ask questions and collaborate when we’re away from the institute.

Just an example

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jake Agatucci
    Participant

Video Part 1| Video Part 2| Assignment Guidelines

I’m tossing in both an example final project and the Final Project Assignment Guidelines for my HUM 268: Digital Games class. This two videos (two parts of a whole) represent the student’s own approach to applying an audio-visual approach to meeting the assignment objectives. I offer her work here just as an example of what some students are highly motivated to do when offered multiple options. Granted, she’s pretty brilliant and had all the technical tools necessary to put together a high quality product, but by her own omission she worked her butt off to perfect and synchronize her script, the delivery of her script, and her own captured gameplay footage. Just toss questions my way if you want more detail on how she went about her work. Keep in mind this is not meant to be a model, just an object to share that shows the potential high-level products motivated students can produce with digital tools. I consider this a story in the sense that, to meet the assignment objectives, students were asked to tell the story of their gameplay experience.

EDIT 7/16/2015: Here are links to some Prezi’s used in Hum268: Digital Games Culture.

Course Overview

Defining Culture as a Concept and Connecting it to Digital Games

Digital Games Types

Digital Games Culture Ecosystem

An Incomplete History of Digital Games

Game Design and LeBlanc’s Taxonomy of Games Pleasures 

The Narratology Versus Ludology Debate

Digital Games as Narrative Art?

Exploring Cross-Overs Between Digital Games and Social Media

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Jake Agatucci.
    Polly Hoover
    Participant

This is great. Could you talk some more about this course: is it an introduction to digital games? Would you be willing to share your syllabus? I am interested in integrating digital games as a component / module of a course on Women in the performing and fine arts (not my title) or as part of a Sex and Gender course with sociology instructor.

Jake Agatucci
    Participant

No problem at all. The class focuses on digital games as cultural practice, so it aims to help students become self-aware about why they game, how it shapes their identity and values, and how it influences the ongoing development of the culture(s) in which they participate. Here’s a link to the syllabus. I’d love to talk more about ideas for how digital games might be integrated into your Sex and Gender Course.

Polly Hoover
    Participant

Fantastic, and yes, let’s talk some more because this has a lot of potential for the Sex and Gender class. Thanks for being so generous!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.